Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
Department of Personnel & Training
Dated 26th April, 2016.
Sub: Scheme for promotion of Adventure Sports and similar activities amongst Central Government Employees Continuation of Scheme during the year 2016-17 and inclusion of new Institutes.
The undersigned is directed to refer to the Department of Personnel & Training Office Memorandum of even number dated 4th December, 2015 circulating therewith Scheme for promotion of Adventure Sports and similar activities amongst Central Government Employees and to say that it has been decided to continue the Scheme during the year 2016-17. Further, following Institutes/Organizations have also been included in the list of approved Institutes under the Scheme:
i. Himalayan Mountaineering Institute (HMI), Darjeeling, West Bengal.
ii. Jawahar Institute of Mountaineering (JIM), Pahalgam, J&K.
iii. National Institute of Mountaineering & Allied Sports (NIMAS),
Dirang, Arunachal Pradesh.
iv. Youth Hostels Association of India (YHAI), Chankyapuri, New Delhi.
2. In view of the above, it is requested that the contents of the Scheme (copy enclosed) may please be disseminated amongst the employees who are eligible to avail the benefits of the Scheme and encourage them to participate in the Scheme.
Under Secretary to the Govt. of India.
Director/Deputy Secretary(Administration) of all Ministries/Deptt.
Department of Personnel & Training
SCHEME FOR PROMOTION OF ADVENTURE SPORTS & SIMILAR ACTIVITIES AMONGST CENTRAL GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES
2. Vision: To foster spirit of risk-taking, cooperative team work, capacity of readiness, vital response to challenging situations, endurance and environmental awareness.
3. Mission: The Mission of the Scheme for promotion of adventure sports and similar activities is to encourage Central Government Employees working in the Ministries/Department of the Government of India to take part in these activities by giving financial assistance and other incentives. The Central Civil Services Cultural & Sports Board, a Society registered under the Society Registration Act, 1860, which is under the aegis and control of the Department of Personnel & Training will be the nodal agency for the Scheme.
(i) The Scheme would tackle the alarming situation of stress and impact of sedentary life on Government servants as highlighted in several studies conducted so far;
(ii) It would provide a creative outlet to Central Government Employees;
(iii) It would create and foster spirit of risk – taking, cooperative team work, capacity of readiness and vital response to challenging situations and of endurance;
(iv) Central Government Employees would be prepared for better Disaster Management; and
(v) Environmental awareness would be inculcated amongst the Central Government Employees.
5. Scope of the Scheme: The scope of the Scheme is limited to Central Government Employees working in the Ministries/Departments of Government of India. It will also be limited to the programme run by Institutes/Organizations approved by the Department of Personnel & Training.
6. Activities to be sponsored and Institutes: The Department of Personnel & Training will sponsor programmes of 5-7 days duration to be organized by the Institutes/Organizations listed at Annex-I.
The programme will have components of environmental awareness, disaster management, team spirit, capacity building, and Swachchh Bharat Campaign. The activities under the programme will be Trekking, Mountaineering, Rock-Climbing, Cycling in a difficult terrain, Skiing, Surfing, Boat Sailing, Snorkeling, Rafting, Para Sailing Ballooning, Para Gliding, Jungle Safari/Trekking, Desert Safari/Trekking, Beach Trekking and Environmental Awareness Camps etc. A Calendar of the programmes admissible under the Scheme will be circulated by the Department of Personnel & Training from time to time.
7. Financial Assistance and other incentives:
7.1 The Department of Personnel & Training will provide financial assistance to the eligible Central Government Employees for the programme of approved activities and conducted by the Institutes
listed in Annex I .
7.2 Financial assistance will be in the form of reimbursement of Travel Expenses, programme fee and Hiring Charges of the equipments as per the terms and conditions specified in paragraph
7.3 and with a maximum ceiling of Rs.20,OOO/- (Rs. Twenty thousand only) per person per camp. The assistance will be limited to one activity in a block period of two year. Financial Assistance of 100% of programme fee would be provided in a calendar year to two officials of each Ministries/Departments who have been awarded by the Ministry/Department for excellence in service and nominated for the programme.
7.3 The following Heads are admissible for financial assistance under the Scheme:
i) To and fro travel expenses as per the entitlements under Leave Travel Concessions Rules with a maximum ceiling of Rs. 4,000/;7.4 Special Casual Leave will be granted to eligible participants in
ii) Re-imbursement of Programme fee:
(a) 90% for Group ‘ C’ Central Government Employee;
(b) 80% for Group ‘ B’ Central Government Employee; and
(c) 75% for Group’ A’ Central Government Employee.
iii) Actual hiring charges if the necessary equipment are hired from any Government agency with adequate proof subject to maximum of Rs. 2000/-.
accordance with Department of Personnel & Training Office Memorandum No. 6/1/1985-Estt.(Pay-I) dated 16th July, 1985, No. 6/1/85-Estt(Pay-I) dated 7th November, 1988 and No.6/3/2015 – Estt(Pay-I) dated 29th February, 2016.
8. Procedure for availing benefits of the Scheme:
8.1 The Central Government Employee will register himself with the Institute/Organization for the approved programme and make payment for it. He/she will simultaneously also submit his/her application to Central Civil Services Cultural & Sports Board duly
forwarded by the Welfare Officer of their respective Ministry/Department.
8.2 The Ministry/Department will forward nominations of officials who have been awarded by the Ministry/Department for excellence in service and eligible for Financial Assistance of 100% of programme fee.
8.3 The Welfare Officer of the Ministry/Department in each case will certify that the recommended official is a Central Government employee working in the main Ministry/Department and medically fit for the adventure activities opted by him.
8.4 The financial assistance will be given on successful completion of the programme and submission of participation certificate to the Central Civil Services Cultural and Sports Board.9. Flexibility to expand the scope: The Department of Personnel & Training will reserve the rights to modify the scheme, addition or deletion of activities, Institutes/Organization, change in pattern of financial assistance and other conditions of the Scheme without any
(Recognized by Ministry of Defence and Government of Uttarakhand)
2. Atal Bihari Vajpayee Institute of Mountaineering and Allied Sports, Manali, Himachal Pradesh. (Government of Himachal Pradesh)
http://www . adventureh i ma laya. org
3. Indian Institute of Skiing & Mountaineering, Department of Tourism, Gulmarg, Jammu & Kashmir. (Ministry of Tourism)
http: //www .iismgulmarg .in
4. National Institute of Water Sports, Vasco da Gama, Goa. (Ministry of Tourism) http://www.niws.nic.in
5. Swami Vivekanand Institute of Mountaineering, Mount Abu, Rajasthan.
(Government of Gujarat) http ://www.gujmount.com
6. Garhwal Mandai Vikas Nigam Ltd, Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
(Govern ment of Utta ra kha nd) http://www.gmvnl.com/newgmvn
7. Himalayan Mountaineering Institute (HMI), Darjeeling, West Bengal. http://www.hmi-darjeeling .com
8. Jawahar Institute of Mountaineering (JIM), Pahalgam, J&K.
9. National Institute of Mountaineering & Allied Sports (NIMAS), Dirang, Arunachal Pradesh.
10. Youth Hostels Association of India (YHAI), Chankyapuri, New Delhi.